söndag 20 september 2009

Home alone?Nah...

Maybe video killed the radio star in early ‘80s but nowadays the internet took over and ''killed'' the television. Be honest! How much time do you spend in front of the TV anymore? What are your first three things that come up in your mind when you want home entertainment? I can tell you mine: music, movies and books. Of course the list is longer than that but if I’m thinking about the source they almost all are provided by internet. What we’d do nowadays without it?

Let’s see... Early in the morning I wake up and after a fast shower and a very fast breakfast (more likely none with coffee) first thing that cross my mind is to sit down and turn the computer on. I’ll spend there at least one hour unless it’s a busy day and I’m on the run. Starting with checking mails, the webby, the blog, the comments I eventually left somewhere to see if any replies until I get to newspapers, and if I have the time then it’s reading in English , Swedish and of course Romanian. When I listen to music I just make my choice regarding my mood so why should I listen to radio when it’s all full of spoilers and a lot of noise? If I want to watch a movie it goes the same, I take my pick and watch it whenever I got the time and mood for it. Why should I follow a TV schedule that doesn’t fits me anyway and maybe not even offers me the new movie I would like to see? I’m sure there are lots of interesting things when you switch on the telly but I rarely get to it because I’m too busy over the internet.

When you are home with a burning question in your mind, where do you look for answers? I definitely turn first to Google it or just look over the internet.

I wonder what would the time look like without YouTube, MySpace, Vimeo, Flickr, Google, Facebook, Msn, Skype,Yahoo Messenger , Lastfm, Spotify, iTunes, Blogger, Vlogger, Twitter and maybe for some of us computer games? (and please make your add in the comments because the list is enormously longer)

From the public library I have been told to download Adobe Digital Edition to read my e-books from library and I can even borrow music or audio books over the internet if I like. My DVD post delivery service offers me newly a free feature where I can see streamed movies over the internet. Even shopping became a lot easier thanks to internet. It’s all about ''log in''…

Recently I got back to my old love and transformed it into a current hobby. Despite that I’m so much into it I even decided to get some more space between me and my computer and guess what? Making videos requires internet too and none of the less a computer.

I’ll try to stick with my decision and be more digitally reclusive. My advice, whenever you want to avoid spoilers and time killed over the internet: just switch your mobile phone off, keep the radio away, don’t turn your TV on (because it will send you over the internet in the end to find out some more), log off from pages you are on and shut down your computer. Just log on to the world outside the computer or simply sign in for a bit of silence.

2 kommentarer:

  1. There isn't a radioshow, TV-show or internetpage that surclasses the feeling of a nice book that is read in a obscure café. I write a lot, both online, or on the computer, but nothing beats the old pen and paper when I'm looking for an authentic experience or when I really need to get something of my cheast. Real world beats the virtual one any day of the week. Nice article! :)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks!There are few ideas crowded and mixed up in this article though. You are so right about reading in a café. There are so many nice things out there. Just that today I was a bit sick and staying indoor I was thinking about the home entertaining concept and it was a bit annoying to find out that almost everything sends me to the computer, he he.

    SvaraRadera